By all means we should embrace every wonderful aspect of this season. I absolutely plan to eat Christmas cookies and drink eggnog but I want to be able to it with better balance this month. I made a commitment to approach things a little differently this Holiday Season! In other words, I wanted to put some of my New Year’s resolutions into place now to stay a little ahead of the game! So here is my game plan:
1. Set manageable exercise goals. There is not a chance I can go to the gym everyday (even in January) so make a commitment that is realistic. I plan to exercise three times a week while changing up my workouts! Run one day, circuit and cardio train at Orangetheory another (my favorite!) and Yoga for my third. I absolutely plan to rotate another fun option into the mix. Have you ever taken a Soul Cycle class? It is a disco party in disguise! They are opening up a location close to me and I cannot wait!
2. Partner up. I usually like to be on my own when working out. Recently though I started running with my husband and daughter. It is a great way to motivate one another while staying connected during the craze of the season! I also cannot wait to hit Soul Cycle with girlfriends. It is such a fun way to spend time with each other. Their showers and changing areas are so cheerful too, so plan to hit lunch or holiday shopping after your workout!
3. Try a new cookbook. I have been relying heavily on some new cookbooks filled with healthy, yummy and easy recipes. My top two are The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor and The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share
4. Snack smartly. This one has been a game changer. I am a huge snacker and grazer! Usually I am snacking on tortilla chips and string cheese! Lately though, I have been going to the grocery store on Sunday morning. I am filling up my grocery cart with a ton of vegetables and assorted hummus then coming home and cutting it all up and putting it in food containers. Now when I want to snack, I have easy access to healthy options.
5. Manage stress. The season brings a lot of fun and joy but it also brings on a ton of high expectations and stress. Exercise definitely helps with this but at night when it seems at its worst for me, I usually gravitate towards chocolate or wine to calm the nerves! Now most nights though, I make a hot bath filled with my favorite bath gel, gather up a bunch of holiday catalogs, and go read and unwind! My favorite tip on-line news source, the Daily Tip Bit has been featuring other ways to manage stress that are so helpful!
6. Invest in new workout attire. I am much more likely to be motivated to workout when I love what I am wearing! Yes, I like lululemon and Athleta but I would rather spend $80 on a pair of denim then a pair of leggings most days. I love Nordstrom Rack for finding great deals on workout attire. For afterwards, I love putting on something comfortable. I have fallen deeply in love with the goodhYOUman line of sweats. The line was created by a son in memory of his farther. Each piece comes with a fun message and a story. Locally, Alixandra Collections has a great selection!
Thanks for stopping by!