Tomorrow is the first day of fall! Bring on my favorite season to cook in! Nothing makes me happier in the kitchen than prepping warm filled meals for the cool, crisp days of autumn. So I thought I would start the week off with the ultimate fall comfort food: chili. The simple, inviting, fill-you up fare perfect for a quick weeknight meal or for filling up a larger crowd on game day. Of course, there are so many ways to do chili but I particularly love this version for two reasons: it’s super quick to prepare and the addition of cocoa adds depth but not sweetness to the chili.
If you try only recipe this week, then I highly recommend making the Chicken Banh Mi Sandwiches. My girlfriend brought these to a Ravinia last week and we all went crazy over them. I prepared them again last week for a day on the boat and again, cannot get over how good they are!
For my recipe of the week, I have included one of my favorite go-to meals, a simple quiche. Serve it with green salad and/or roasted asparagus on the side. Something so simple to make turns out to be such an elegant and delicious meal! BTW, here’s Vol. 1 of my Weekly Meal Plan if you missed it.
Weekly Meal Plan, Vol. 2
Recipe of the Week
Three Cheese Quiche
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup extra-sharp grated white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 unbaked store-bought 9 inch pie crust
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Preheat the over to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic powder, paprika (if using), salt, and white pepper.
- Stir in the Cheddar, Parmesan, and Gruyere.
- Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle the chives on top.
- Bake until the quiche is lightly golden and set in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust in browning too quickly, cover it with foil to prevent burning.
- Remove from the heat and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into 6 or 8 slices and serve warm at room temperature.