The Start of 2018
It never fails. I am always shocked to see another year go by. Yet here we are all of a sudden in the New Year of 2018! I don’t know about you, but I have a really hard time starting fresh on January 1st. The evening before is usually spent over serving myself Champagne, my house is a wreck from the holidays and I am trying to organize the kids returning to school the next day. Eating right, exercising and closet purging is just not on the forefront of my mind!
25 Intentions New Year – Setting Intentions. Not Resolutions
With the start of the New Year comes these pressures of New Year’s resolutions. So to relieve that pressure, I am rethinking my approach to resolutions this year. My goal now is to set intentions throughout the year and not resolutions per se. The latter usually failing by February for me anyway! Do I want to eat better? Yes! Do I want to exercise more? Yes! But I also want to be more mindful in the things I do.
So how is an intention different from a resolution? A resolution is defined as a firm decision to do or not do something. An intention is defined as an aim or a plan. I want to aim to try new things. I don’t want to resolute to eat better and then feel like I failed on the days I don’t. In my opinion, intentions should be a combination of things that you are excited about and challenge you but leave you with a sense of accomplishment and not failure.
This week, I plan to sit down with a planner and add intentions to my calendar throughout the year. That way they are there in writing and always there for reference. I recently received a planner that features a large section to add notes each week as well as a section to write down a daily gratitude. I have not been able to find it on-line but here is a smiler concept on sale from Anthropologie. Another reason to implement a planner? Well nothing is more satisfying then crossing an item off after completion! At the end of the year, it will be fun to look back and say these are the things I tried or accomplished this year.
25 New Year Intentions For 2018
- Try a new workout
- Bring the outdoors in by adding more green to your home
- Buy new linens for your bedroom. I recently discovered this line of linens I plan to buy for my master bedroom!
- Put at least one item on your calendar that you look forward to each month!
- Get dressed up and go out to dinner once a month
- Create Self-Care Sunday’s. Spoiler: This is a new series coming to the blog!
- Remove these five things from your closet: shoes that hurt your feet, white pieces that are graying or yellowing, denim that has lost it’s shape, sweaters that are pilling, dingy socks and undergarments
- Add these five things to your closet: a unique dress, a colorful pump, a cozy sweater, a new bra and a fresh white blouse
- Avoid white foods for a week (sugar, flour, dairy, etc.)
- Try a new recipe once a month or even once a week
- Buy a workout outfit you are excited to put on. I love the Alo line at Nordstrom!
- Read or re-read a classic book
- Give up Starbucks (or some other everyday indulgence) for the week and donate your savings from this to your favorite charity
- Plan a weekend trip to a new city
- Go to a museum for the day by yourself
- Take pictures with a real camera and not your phone for important moments and events
- Choose your three favorite pictures from last year to develop and frame
- Spend one day a week completely off social media (this will be a hard one for me!)
- Meal plan for the week on Sunday’s
- See a foreign film
- Plan a night to go dancing with your girlfriends and plan a night to go dancing with your significant other
- Make a photo book of your favorite vacation
- Try one new thing that takes you out of your comfort zone
- Buy a new board game to play with your family or friends
- Write down something you are grateful for every day
Shop The Post
Thanks for stopping by!